- Director of Academic Affairs
Sandra F. Birdsong Center for Academic Excellence
Our goal at Nansemond Suffolk Academy is to ensure the success of all students in a challenging environment. The Sandra F. Birdsong Center for Academic Excellence (CAE), funded by the TowneBank Foundation, is designed to lessen the gap between a student’s achievement and ability level through explicit, responsive teaching and targeted research-based interventions.
The Center provides supplemental learning support for Pre-K- Grade 12 students to maximize each student’s capacity to learn. The center also provides professional development opportunities to the faculty and staff to further their understanding of learning differences and differentiated instruction, which includes utilizing student’s strengths, learning styles and interests to provide the appropriate level of challenge for each student. The SFBCAE operates under the leadership of the director of academic affairs as well as two instructors, one full-time reading specialist and a full-time math specialist. All staff members work collaboratively with administrators, teachers, parents and students to develop a plan for increased student learning.
- Reading Intervention
- Phonemic Awareness Testing and Intervention
- Study Skills Classes
- Academic Liaison Resource
- Learning Plans
- Language and motor development provided by private speech language therapists
- Occupational Therapy provided by Helping Hands Therapy Services, PLLC
- Educational Therapy provided by private licensed educational therapists
- Content area tutoring and Wilson Reading Program provided by private tutors
We look forward to working with you and your student to ensure their success at Nansemond-Suffolk Academy!